There are a lot of online Excel classes. A lot. How effective are they? Well, the majority of them are by teachers whose career backgrounds were in teaching Excel. Or they left their careers and have spent most of it since teaching Excel.
That makes for a poor transformative experience in the case of most online Excel courses. The teachers who are most capable are transferring skills and have a solid understanding of how they work in the real world. Not another ‘rehashing’ of how to use PivotTables (which reminds me, these teachers are so blinkered in theory land that they don’t even know that most high-level Excel users don’t even need PivotTables, the alternatives are far better for most).
Let me give you my formula that I have built into our Excel classes for turning you in to an Excel expert, assuming you are a complete beginner (if you’re not, just start from the step you feel relevant)
What to Expect with Excel Classes for Beginners
- Get your head around cells, ranges, and how to move around a workbook.
- Understand the different data types in Excel, particularly text and dates.
- Learn how to use basic formulas, validation and conditional formatting.
Now You Have Done Intermediate Excel Training
- Learn how to manage your data (long boring lists).
- Understand the 3-4 best ways to find the data you need from your long, boring lists.
- Distil your requirements into logic to analyse and control the data.
- Manipulate the heck out of text data.
- Use summing/counting techniques as well the above to summarize data.
Now You Have Advanced Excel Skills
- Use advanced conditional formatting techniques and array formulas to add an extra dimension of usefulness to analysis and summarizing.
- Rapidly learn VBA fundamentals without wasting time on unnecessary jargon and functions.
- Understand how a Macro can help you easily write VBA code (cheating for the greater good).
- Use VBA to do analysis, summarize and produce charts in 1 second (yes 1 second).
Now You Are Beyond Advanced Excel Skills (in the Top 5% of Excel Users in the World)
- Learn the art and science of gathering data.
- Understand how to capture data from different sources, carry out analysis, produce outputs and distil for various audiences.
Now you are in the top 2% of Excel users
- Be able to make Excel ‘talk’ to PowerPoint to instantly build slide decks.
- Build a suite of project management tools that help deliver projects and track your data more accurately than Microsoft Project.
- Control the communication of Word to Excel and vice versa to perhaps build purchase order reports, manage invoice and supply chain/logistical task.
Now you are in the top 1% of Excel users and you are an automation machine and combined with my approach to selling your skills, you will instantly become attractive to hiring managers.
Here’s the kicker. Anyone can do it and currently we are the only company who teach online Excel classes in the context of a professional environment. Our Excel tutorials will help guide you toward becoming a master of spreadsheets, workbooks, formulas and more.